Saturday, April 2, 2016

The False Perfection of Facebook

Facebook is a double-edged sword, isn't it? 

It has become such a vehicle for my own expression. As an introvert, it allows me to use my voice without leaving my home. On the Facebook page for my blog, I usually reach more than 10,000 people per week. That is far more people than I would ever interact with in my "real" life. I have the potential to use my voice for good and help others feel less alone. That is an amazing gift. On the other hand, it also opens me up to criticism and unkindness from people. It is much easier to be cruel when you are hiding behind your computer and people have said the most grossly unkind things to me. 
In order to avoid such conflict and unkindness and to portray ourselves as the most perfect, lovely people --we often curate our social media feeds to only show the best of our lives. I'm as guilty of this as anyone, although I'm trying to be more conscious of this and avoid doing so. 

So, is your Facebook wall letting people in or inadvertently keeping people out? Has your Facebook "wall" become a literal wall that isn't letting people see the true you?


What I mean is- do your Facebook posts and pictures show an intensely perfect and unrealistic version of your life that doesn't in anyway show who you really are or invite people to know the true you or are you okay with being real enough to show some vulnerability and at least a glimpse of the actual, honest-to-goodness, flawed and wonderful you? 
It's hard to be real amongst all of the false perfection, isn't it? 
I challenge you lovingly to not be afraid to show that picture of your daughter with the unfolded laundry on the chair behind her...share the status about the unreasonable anxiety that you've been feeling...ask for help for need it- whatever being real means to you. 
It doesn't make you any more amazing to project yourself as the false version of perfect that none of us could ever be. 
We are all perfectly imperfect. Yes, it sucks to be vulnerable and we are all a bit afraid of the internet trolls- those who wait for us to show a flaw and are ready to pounce on us like digital vultures. 
I always have to remind myself to 'eye roll and scroll' when I come upon those comments or, even better, delete and block those people. The negativity that they bring to the world has nothing to do with you- it really is a reflection of what is happening inside them. Unfortunately, even the kindest of posts can draw their wrath. It's not about you at all. You are perfect just the way you are. 
It's okay to be you. It's amazing to be you. I can't wait to see the real, authentic you splashed like gold across your social media feeds. You've got this, Loves. Internet trolls be damned, screw the false perfection and let your true self rise up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment