Friday, December 19, 2014

Gratitude is found in the most unusual of places.


There was an elderly man buzzing about in a wheelchair in  the parking lot of an apartment complex I was at today. He approached me and we chatted about the weather and the day. I noticed that he appeared to have been the recipient of a fairly recent double, above-knee amputation.

 We spoke for a few minutes, with him doing the vast majority of the talking as he happily puffed away on the dissolving bud of a cigar. He seemed absolutely delighted to have a few minutes of company.

We parted ways as we said our goodbyes and as I walked away he hollered after me, saying "enjoy those legs, young lady!" as he buzzed away with a grin.

I will, Sir.
Today, I will not lament the width of thighs or bemoan my hot, swollen feet at the end of my shift.

Today, my feet will kiss the ground with gratitude for each step that I take. And, for that, kind Sir- I thank you.


Shine on, Dear Ones, shine on.

No comments:

Post a Comment